Gen Z, Millennials are out booming Baby Boomers


Enjelica Sangster

This past September senior Broncos were able to register to vote during their lunch periods. In the 2024 election, Millennials and Gen Zers will outnumber the Baby Boomers.

Manel Cedeno, Staff Writer

For the first time in modern history, Millennials and Gen Z outnumber the Baby Boomers which could change the trajectory of the 2024 election. 

For years, the Baby Boomer generation (those born between 1946 and 1964 and now make up 21 percent of the US population) has held power over the US government.  As a typically more conservative voting block, their power has been shown in the candidates elected for political office and the ideals behind the laws being overturned and passed.  With a strong sense of individual freedoms and patriotism, Boomers have reigned over the decisions made in this country with groups with fewer numbers not being able to compete with their political power.

“As a baby boomer, I like to think we had a good run,” AICE US History teacher and Rho Kappa adviser Ms. Elysee explained. “We worked on Civil Rights [and] environmental issues. The Space Race set up the tech boom of the Millennials, but every generation has to pass the torch.”

Gen Zers (those born between 1997 and 2014 and currently make up 21 percent of the population) and Millennials (those born between 1981 and 1996 and are 22 percent of the population), on the other hand, have a more liberal agenda, representing a more progressive constituent base and have only just begun to reach the voting age. With 72 million Millennials and 68 million Gen Zers, they easily outnumber the Boomers with 70 million falling into that category. 

Gen Z and Millennials are also more diverse than the older generations. NPR states that, “researchers analyzed post-millennials who are currently between the ages of 6 and 21. They found nearly half — 48 percent — are from communities of color.” 

The majority of those in younger generations that are more diverse grow up with a culture of inclusivity and equality. A trait that lacks in those generations of the past. This new culture is likely to be seen in government in the future, and some examples of this are already being seen in the government today. Ketanji Brown Jackson is a pioneer of this new wave of inclusivity and progressive culture. She is the first African-American woman to be elected as a Supreme Court Justice, and she is a prime example of the new effect that Gen Z and Millennials have on the government. The first federal example of their voting influence came with Maxwell Frost, a democrat representing Florida’s 10th Congressional District, who was the first Gen Zer to be elected.  

Palm Beach Central’s social studies honor society, Rho Kappa president Steven Popovetsky stated, “I think candidates will focus on issues more prevalent to Millennials and Gen Z.” 

With an increase in the political power of younger generations in the US government, many changes could begin to align with the beliefs of Millennials and Gen Z. 

Because Baby Boomers have been in political power for so long, not many large changes to the United States have been made. The US has only just begun to move towards a more progressive and open minded country.

According to Pew Research, “Younger generations (Generation X, Millennials and Generation Z) now make up a clear majority of America’s voting-eligible population. As of November 2018, nearly six-in-ten adults eligible to vote (59 percent) were from one of these three generations, with Boomers and older generations making up the other 41 percent.”

With more liberal and inclusive beliefs in these generations, the new ideas being brought into government are starting to clash with those of conservatives. This new wave of younger voters will bring large changes to the American government and politics. The shift in voter ages will have significant implications for the future of American politics. The further left priorities of the Millennial and Gen Z generations will have a prominent role in the decisions made in the United States on such topics as LGBTQIA+ rights and civil rights. 

“If they [the Millennials and Gen Zers] take advantage of their numbers they can set the agenda and prioritize where resources are spent,” Elysee noted. “Governments are run by people who show up and chosen by people who vote. The question is, are Millennials and Gen Z one voice? Or, do they hold the same divisions as the rest of the country, splintering their potential power. Only time will tell.”