Mighty midfielder dominates ‘outside the crease’

Photo courtesy of Sophia Schicolone

Senior Sophia Schicolone faces off with an opponent in hopes of gaining control of the ball.

Kaitlyn Tholen, Staff Writer

Senior and petite powerhouse on the lacrosse team, Sophia Scichilone, is a star player and stands out whenever she hits the field. 

Scichilone started playing the game in 7th grade, making the varsity team in her freshman year. When she arrived at Central, she quickly rose to the top. As a freshman, and then as a sophomore, this vivacious young lady was second in ground balls in the state.  Also in her sophomore year, she became the first leading scorer at the midfield position and rose to be the captain of the team.  In 2020, she was one of the players that scored the most goals and even found her name in The Bronco Beat for it.  In 2021,  as a senior, her spot in the sport is playing midfield where she dominates the field playing both defense and attack.  She continues to attend every practice and has private lessons outside of school almost everyday by the best trainers in Florida. 

“I play lacrosse because I’m in love with the sport and the feeling of competing,” said Scichilone.   In keeping with her competitive spirit, she was also seen during Homecoming Week playing in the Powderpuff games.

Although she spends a lot of her time on the field with stick in hand, she never forgets to keep up her grades even with a loaded schedule that includes AICE and Honors classes.  On track to graduate this year with an AICE Diploma with Merit, she is also an active member of the National Athletic Honor Society.  Her teachers have taken note of her academic focus.

“She’s on point everyday,” explained Scichilone’s AICE Literature teacher, Mr. Elder. “She’s well-organized, has a good attitude, and actively participates in the classroom.” 

Earlier this year, she was offered a full ride to Florida Tech University in Melbourne and has already accepted their offer.  Despite being committed to playing on the university’s D2 team, Scichilone shared that she will manage to balance her time between lacrosse and getting a degree in biomedical science.  

After receiving a number of offers from other universities, this active Bronco explained that she chose Florida Tech because it “suits her best, and it is not too far from home.”

“Sophia is a leader on and off the field,” said head coach of the Girls Varsity Lacrosse team, Michael Skonieczki. “She leads by example and sets the tone for everybody at practice. She’ll go through a brick wall for me. Not many kids I can say would do that.”